2015年6月16日星期二

DIY MASON JAR LIGHT


DIY MASON JAR LIGHT




Do you remember the screen porch makeover I finished a few weeks ago? The lighting I decided on for for early morning coffee and late night porch time was this easy DIY Chandelier…(here:Solar string light)




The little chandy is almost perfect. Almost.


See, I have my quiet time on the porch before the sun comes up and if I sit in my comfy chair I can’t see to read my Bible or write in my prayer journal! The Husband reads the Bible from his iPad so he doesn’t have a problem with the light, it’s my chair that needed a little illumination!


Soooo, I came up with this easy little Mason Jar light to hang right over my chair on the porch…it’s perfect in the early morning and at night it’s like I’m catching fireflies…




At first I wasn’t certain exactly what I’d do, I just knew I needed a light. To get my creative juices flowing I took a little field trip to Hobby Lobby…



Do you guys do that…go to a craft or home improvement store and wander the aisles until one idea leads to another and before long a project comes together? Anyhoo, not knowing exactly what my light would look like, only that I needed to make one, I spotted the Mason Jars. Hobby Lobby has individual wide mouth large Mason Jars(5)that made me think they’d be perfect for inserting a string of (100) tiny white string lights…


Because the light would be going on the screen porch, I wanted to make certain I kept with the rustic feel of the grapevine sphere chandelier already hanging over the table. This grapevine wire seemed like a good idea for hanging the mason jars and of course I picked up some burlap ribbon because I always find use for burlap ribbon!




But …how would I hang the mason jars?


After a few minutes of looking through the hardware look what I found!


These cast iron swivel hooks…now I was getting a visual!




Here’s the 411 :


* 5 large mouth Mason Jars


* Grapevine Wire


* Burlap Ribbon


* 100 White Lights


* 100 White Lights


* Cast Iron Swivel Hooks


To make the hangers for the jars just twist the grapevine wire around a pencil…




Then around the mouth of the jar…




Twist…




And bring the grapevine wire up and around and attach it to the little ring you made to begin with.




I put the top ring back on just to better secure the grapevine wire…




Now for the fun part! Hang your hook wherever you want it and get out those pretty white lights…




Decide how you want the lights to hang, I did mine in the shape of a cluster of grapes


Since some of the jars needed to hang lower, I used burlap ribbon to get them to the right place. The burlap ribbon also softened the overall look of the light.


When they were hanging just so, I tucked in my white lights…this took several tries to find the best order as it coincided with the plug!






The Husband put an adapter on our existing porch light (it turns a light socket into an electrical socket) so the mason jar light is controlled by a light switch

but you could easily run an extension cord down the wall in a corner or along your trim-just use one of those cords you can step on to turn on and off!


I love the new light, it’s perfect for my coffee/quiet time in the morning!




There are a hundred ways you could design a mason jar light, if you decide to do one I’d love to see a picture!


Sending love to you my sweet friends ox
YOU MIGHT LIKE…














没有评论:

发表评论